Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missed it by *that* much
Even though I'm pretty good on my supply of powder, I just ordered another 24#. 16# of Vihtavuori N135 and 8 of N140. I'm going to be buying bullets next. I figure Biden might do something really stupid if he gets reelected, so I'm preparing myself to have enough components until I'm dead.

If you're a fan of Vihtavuori powder, Whidden Gunworks has good prices (no sales tax collected either).
(03-31-2024, 03:34 PM)Gusso Wrote: Even though I'm pretty good on my supply of powder, I just ordered another 24#. 16# of Vihtavuori N135 and 8 of N140. I'm going to be buying bullets next. I figure Biden might do something really stupid if he gets reelected, so I'm preparing myself to have enough components until I'm dead.

If you're a fan of Vihtavuori powder, Whidden  Gunworks has good prices (no sales tax collected either).

What are you loading?  I get my bullets from Zero bullet company.  I still have a ton.  They are excellent.  I usually get their .45 185g LSWCHP and their 185g JHP bullets for bullseye shooting.  4.3 and 4.4 g of WST respectively.  Very light and accurate loads.  Case just falls out of the gun in recoil.  I've even had cases call into my arm and stay there.
I only load for Mosins. For 200 gr cast bullets, I use 18gr of 2400. I have some Lapua 123gr FMJ that take 50gr of VV 135. I use VV140 for heavier bullets. I'm about to order 1000 Lapua 200gr D-166 bullets. Very expensive but I found a place in Austria that has them for about 70% of the cheapest American company.. I'll check out Zero.
(03-31-2024, 08:33 PM)bdutton Wrote:
(03-31-2024, 03:34 PM)Gusso Wrote: Even though I'm pretty good on my supply of powder, I just ordered another 24#. 16# of Vihtavuori N135 and 8 of N140. I'm going to be buying bullets next. I figure Biden might do something really stupid if he gets reelected, so I'm preparing myself to have enough components until I'm dead.

If you're a fan of Vihtavuori powder, Whidden  Gunworks has good prices (no sales tax collected either).

What are you loading?  I get my bullets from Zero bullet company.  I still have a ton.  They are excellent.  I usually get their .45 185g LSWCHP and their 185g JHP bullets for bullseye shooting.  4.3 and 4.4 g of WST respectively.  Very light and accurate loads.  Case just falls out of the gun in recoil.  I've even had cases call into my arm and stay there.

Looks like all they have are pistol bullets.  At this point, I doubt I'll reload for pistol. I still have quite a bit of 9mm and Makarov ammo. I'm not worried about precision from them.

Btw, those Zero bullets are extremely reasonable.
I wished I lived in a free state with plenty of places to shoot.
_________
You can never carry too much ammo, unless you are swimming or on fire.
I thought you were going to move out of MD when you retired?
I annealed some brass today for the first time ever! Seems easy.
(04-05-2024, 12:54 PM)dave Wrote: I thought you were going to move out of MD when you retired?

That was the plan, but my mother's health has taken a turn for the worse. So I have to stay local to make sure she makes it to all her doctors appointments. There is nothing more important to me than family. I promised my father before he died I would never put her in a nursing home. So, I'll sell my place and move in with her if I have to.
_________
You can never carry too much ammo, unless you are swimming or on fire.
Sorry to hear that..
My sister and I took care of Mom until she passed last May but we had to put her in a nursing home for the last 7 or 8 months when she needed 24 hour care..
(04-10-2024, 02:42 AM)Stank Delicious Wrote:
(04-05-2024, 12:54 PM)dave Wrote: I thought you were going to move out of MD when you retired?

That was the plan, but my mother's health has taken a turn for the worse. So I have to stay local to make sure she makes it to all her doctors appointments. There is nothing more important to me than family. I promised my father before he died I would never put her in a nursing home. So, I'll sell my place and move in with her if I have to.

There's an important distinction between putting someone in a home, and skilled care. There are plenty of circumstances where you can provide care for your mom until the very end or something like hospice, but there are also plenty of scenarios where her needs will suck the life out of you with no end in sight. And then she may need a level of care you can't give, and that's prohibitive to in-home services. That's probably similar to what Dave ran into. He fought an incredible fight, but there's that point near, but still distant from the end when a skilled care facility is the right move. 

Don't let a promise kill you over it. That's all im saying. And I don't think you're the guy who's in any danger of throwing up his hands and putting his mom in a cage because she keeps leaving the fridge open. I know you'll do her and your dad right.